Monday, August 20, 2007

Last Days in Dallas

My time in Dallas as been incredibly easy going. I spent my days working out, reading, dining, and putzing (there was a lot of putzing).
My dad really got into guitar hero while I had it here. We had a bonding day which consisted of playing two hours of guitar hero and then watching the new Dawn of the Dead (both his selection unaided by me).

I went and saw Invasion. It was alright. Overall I would say it entertained me, but there was such a heavy handed political message (particularly in the ending) that I was left with a sour taste in my mouth and, therefore, don't really feel like recommending it to anyone.
I also saw Superbad - that I will highly recommend. I was about to launch into a big discussion about Judd Apatow and how stellar his directorial style is, but I just looked it up and Judd Apatow did not direct Superbad (according to the article "Breaking: ‘Superbad’ Director Greg Mottola Is Not Judd Apatow"). Well, I suppose my point still stands: I was really impressed by this film's (and other movies like 'Knocked Up') ability to be an on-the-surface-silly-masterpiece-of-immature-humor flick while also boasting some of the more realistic and honest characters seen in movies today. I once read an interview with Judd Apatow in which he discussed how this is basically his goal in movie making - to develope characters that people identify with on a frightening personal level. It seems to have rubbed off on Greg Mottola. Superbad is hilarious and absurd, but at the same time does a pretty damn good job of portraying what it really is to be that drunk girl on the floor at a party giggling, "I fell down" (not to mention how that girl feels the next day). I may have felt something for that girl... overall, a seriously excellent movie.

Jeremy and I had our graduation celebration last night. We started out at Javiers for dinner; this really lovely gourmet Mexican place. Afterwards, we kept the shnaz at full throttle and made our way to the Main Event for an hour of bowling. Let it be known that I won all three games. I am a bowling machine. After dominating Jeremy at the lanes, we headed downtown for dessert and wine and the Ritz Carlton's new restaurant, Farrings. I don't think I have ever been to a nicer place, it was just incredible. The host took us on a little tour around the place before seating us - the walls were covered in suede, there were amazing light fixtures everywhere, the art work was all different designs made with amber, there were 2 bars (one inside on out), 3 dining areas (a more traditional atrium room, a sort of hunter's club looking room with these Awesome high backed white arm chairs that would make anyone look important, and then a dining area built around a kitchen so you could watch the chefs, this is where we ate). Our water cost $8 and I received many apologies from the waiter when he saw me refilling my own glass. The whole place was the definition of high class. Oh right, and the food was stellar as well. It was a really really nice evening.

I went and said goodbye to my grandparents today. It's the only goodbye that has made me cry. I am absolutely certain that I will see everyone else again, even if it is not until December. But there is a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that this was the last time I'll see y grandparents. Very sad thought indeed.

Tomorrow, Bjesus and I are driving to Florida. I can't say I am excited about being in a car for 18 hours, but I am glad Bj is coming with me. I'll be sure to let you know we made it without incident.

You know that point in your life when you realize that the house that you grew up in isn't really your home anymore? All of the sudden even though you have some place where you can put your stuff that idea of home is gone. You'll see when you move out it just sort of happens one day one day and it's just gone. And you can never get it back. It's like you get homesick for a place that doesn't exist. I mean it's like this rite of passage, you know. You won't have this feeling again until you create a new idea of home for yourself, you know, for your kids, for the family you start, it's like a cycle or something. I miss the idea of it. Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people who miss the same imaginary place.

No comments: