Thursday, October 2, 2008

Hello. My name is Shelley, and I'm a knuckle cracker

I crack my knuckles. A lot. To the point that it has become a detriment to myself and those around me. Laura (work colleague/housemate) has bought earplugs. I'm not kidding. In light of such drastic measures, I thought it might be time to try to stop. So I did what all people in the modern age do: I went to the internet for advice.

I found a rather interesting article on Wiki (of course).

There is quite a bit in that article I find note worthy, particularly this: "Truly excessive knuckle popping, especially accompanied by the popping of other joints in the body, can be an early sign of more serious anxiety disorders."

They (Wiki and a few other resources I've read through) seem to be convinced that all nervous habits, such as knuckle cracking, nail biting, hair twirling, etc, all stem from some deeply seeded anxiety and that the easiest way to stop is to pinpoint said anxiety and take steps to reduce it. There is no doubt that I fall under the ‘excessive’ and ‘multiple joint’ categories, but I don’t feel as though I am particularly ‘nervous’. Could it be possible that I have some horrible anxiety disorder and not even know about it? Could it be the left over symptoms of a childhood anxiety disorder that has since resolved itself?

There also seems to be a widely held belief that the best, and perhaps only, way to stop yourself from knuckle cracking is through some basic behavioral techniques.

From the perspective of an addict, I think both of the above theories are crap. Cracking my knuckles feels good. This is why I started doing it. I continue to do it for the same reason, and because it is such an ingrained behavior that I do it subconsciously. Further, if I don't do it, it causes great discomfort in my joints - hence why I don’t/can’t stop. It'd be like telling someone they can only breathe once every 30 seconds. A person could do that, and they could live like that, but it would be uncomfortable and unnatural.

My question is open to anyone, but I am particularly interested in what John and Mike (and any other psych kids out there), think of this. How do I stop cracking my knuckles?

I hold no reservations that I would be able to do this cold turkey. So, as a first step, I have chosen a compromise. There are five different ways I can crack my knuckles. I am restricting myself to one. We'll see how that goes...

This, of course, does not take into account my neck, wrists, back, knees and toes, which I also pop on a regular basis. Baby steps people, baby steps.

2 comments:

John said...

In terms of getting a real psychology-based response, I think Mike is your guy.

However, as someone who used to pop his neck on a very, very regular basis (several times an hour), I know something about this. I still pop my knuckles, but it's not super loud and to my knowledge it doesn't bother anyone around me. When I met Lauren, she tried to rid me of my neck popping because as good as it felt for a few minutes, my neck would hurt like an animal if I didn't do it.

You've mentioned the same about your knuckles. It's not because your knuckles long to be popped. It's because they're a little inflamed from the popping. My neck was inflamed from the popping. So, whenever I would pop my neck, Lauren would hit me. She would hit me pretty hard on the shoulder. More than the physical pain of the hit, the knowledge that it bothered her that I was hurting myself in this really unnecessary, habitual way made me want to quit popping my neck.

I still do it a couple times a week, but my life is considerably devoid of neck pain and such.

I think your knuckles would heal in this same way if you quit. I'm not sure I can recall seeing you pop your knuckles before. Now I'm kind of curious.

Most habits really can be compared to smoking, I think. Habits generally trick your brain into making you feel good despite the reality therein.

So.....yeah. Does anyone disagree? I may be off base about this.

Shell said...

Everything I've read basically says "it'll feel really weird not to pop them - it may even hurt - but you'll get over it".

It really just seems to be a will power thing but, honestly, I don't think I have the power. I did pretty well yesteday, but today has been awful.

I know the only thing that is motivating me is that fact that I am annoying people around me - but it's still so hard! Perhaps Laura should start hitting me....